Thursday, May 7, 2009

Phases of the Moon

On my personal blog I have a gadget that depicts the phases of the moon. I love the moon. I love when it’s a sliver in the sky, just a hint of light peeking out from behind shadows, but I especially love when it is full and bright. I was thinking this morning, as I noticed that the moon was climbing towards full again, that if I didn't have that gadget on my blog, I wouldn’t have known. Every twenty-seven days a full moon lights up the sky and even after admitting how much I love it, I can’t remember the last time I took the time to notice it. Tonight, I'm going to go outside and look at the full moon. I'm going to notice the way that its increased brightness lightens the dark shadows of the night. I'm going to notice the way its glow makes its edges a little fuzzy. I'm going to be in awe, once again, at one of the miracles of nature.

What else am I not taking the time to notice? What else do I wish I had a little icon on my blog for? My oldest daughter turns eleven this summer. If she were depicted as an icon on my blog, she would be shown as half full. Half full? What have I missed? What have I not taken the time to notice? I think back to when she was just a little light peeking out from behind my shadow. Now she’s becoming brighter as she climbs towards full. Have I appreciated each step along the way? Unlike with the moon, if I miss one of her phases, I don’t get another chance to view it.

So, to my four little moons in their various stages, I’d like to say, that I will pause more each day to notice your phase, to appreciate your beauty, to bask in your light. I know I'm going to be in awe, once again, of your miraculous natures.

6 comments:

  1. Aww.. I too, have been feeling the pull of my kids. It's like I've come out of this year writing cocoon and I've realized I can't remember much of what has happened the last year in each of their lives. yes, I'm there for them and offer advice and hugs, but since I've devoted my writing as a full time job, I've noticed there are small and simple pleasures that I've missed out on. This past week especially, I've hugged them more and talked with them more. Hopefully I'll be able to find a healthy balance between my new passion for writing and the 6 loves of my life. Thanks for this post Kasie.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Kasie! I've never thought of it that way before, but I'll never look at the moon the same again... or my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today my 6 year old had a Mother's Day program at school. It was wonderful and amazing and I'm already choked up about it--when I read this I burst into tears. I love every minute I get with my angels. No matter what else happens, time moves quickly. Thanks for another reminder to take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such a wonderful post. I have been struggling with getting everything done. I feel like I'm constantly going from one thing to another. I definitely miss a lot of the beauty around me. Thank you for the reminder of how much I will miss out on if I don't take the time to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my kids get older I think I do appreciate the moment more and more. When they were younger I couldn't wait for them to grow and progress to the next stage. But now that they are approaching the teen years, I know what waits...and I'd rather not go there!! So I am trying to cram as much learning into now as possible. I say things like, "You know I love you right? Because you're not always going to think so." They laugh at me and say they will always appreciate me and I just smile, cuz I know better...but now I can use it against them!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benjamin has been climbing into my lap a lot at the computer and specifically asking me to come sit with him while he watches his shows. It makes me realize how much he needs my attention, so I've been trying harder to keep my writing contained to a set amount of time and bask in his bright little light. After all it's the think that makes me happiest in the whole world! Great post and great reminder!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails