Monday, July 26, 2010

Finding Balance

~ by Christine Bryant

About eighteen months ago I left my job at our family restaurant and decided to give my writing career my full attention. I poured my heart and soul into every word I wrote, taking more and more time away from the important things in my life. For several months, writing was the first thing I thought of in the morning and the last thing that crossed my mind before I went to sleep. Some nights I woke at wee hours of the morning only to get up and sneak into my office to write some more. I was obsessed and determined to get published.

After the highs of getting a contract for my book, and then the lows of losing it, I decided it was time to slow things down and reevaluate my routine and my priorities. Much to my shame, there were a few things and people who were being neglected and ignored. I took a few weeks off, cleaned my house, set up a schedule my family could live with and set back to writing. But after only a few weeks, I realized there was still something wrong. Seriously wrong.


It took a trip to the doctor for a sinus infection for me to realize I'd been neglecting my health. I'd gained more weight than I'd suspected--way more--and my blood pressure was through the roof. I'd forgotten to take care of ME.


Since that time I've taken more time from my writing to concentrate on creating a diet I can live with, added some exercise into my daily routine and continue to take the vitamins and medication I should have been on years ago. I'm feeling better and the weight is slowly coming off.


What I've realized in all this is that we need balance in our lives. I believe that with anything we do, we should create time for other things and people. It just isn't good to consume our entire being with one thing. It's not healthy for our bodies or our minds. So take a walk, go to lunch with a friend, watch a movie with the family or just sleep in until noon one day. Your muse will love you for the break.

You can visit Christine on her blog by clicking HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Amen to that. Well said. It reminds me of taking care of the goose that can lay the golden egg. I'm hoping once school starts this fall I can get a good balanced routine going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know what you mean. We have to keep all things in order else life escapes us and we are left with nothing but heart ache.

    Thank you for this post, Christine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I'm kind of obsessive so I have to work really hard to set something aside to play with my kids or to simply relax.
    Thanks for the thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the daily game! Glad to know I'm not the only one who falls in the trap.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails