Wednesday, October 27, 2010

One Track Mind

So I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to fixate. I am not one of those people who can mulitask when it comes to something I love. (Dishes, housework, and laundry do not count, so I CAN do those things while thinking about others.)

I love writing. They haunt me, these stories in my mind. I wander around most days in a slight fog, registering that there are things to do, kids to care for, chores to be done. Right now we are waiting to hear if my hubby finally has a job (any day, ack!), but all I can think about is writing. And cursing my crazy life right now that is going to keep me from doing NaNoWriMo (Nation Novel Writing Month for all you newbies out there).

Do you want to know how crazy it is? The other day I drove into the Walmart parking lot, the radio on to my daughter's favorite station. Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" came on, and as I listened to the story told in that song, a image came to mind. A petite blond walks into a bar, her wallet and ID out to show the bartender because even though she's thirty, she still could pass for twelve, and this isn't her regular place. She's there to meet a new client and as a PI only a year into the business, she can't afford to turn down work, even though her ex boyfriend, a police detective and also her ex partner, had proposed several times. She keeps turning him down.

I pulled into the parking stall and it was pouring rain. I grabbed an envelope from the mail I'd picked up before I left for the store and pulled a pen from my pocket. I used Nikki's fabulous tip from last week about plotting from the ends to the middle, and in about 10 minutes, I had the bones of this story. I wandered the store, picking up who knows what because all I could think about was this story, fleshing out details in my mind. I came home and made dinner and babbled at my hubby for half an hour about this story because I was so excited about it. And now all I want to do is NaNo and take this skeleton and fill in the muscles and brain and heart of the story.

Please, PLEASE tell me that I am not the only one like this. Of course, if I am, you can tell me that, too, and I'll quietly go find a therapist to help me find normal again. :)

3 comments:

  1. LOL!! Ok, your not the only crazy one, but it's been a while since my brain has worked like that and I want it back!! I want to have the blinders back on. I want to be able to fixate on one story. But alas, it hasn't happened lately. I'm hoping Nano will inspire that kind of focus for me. BTW, I find myself using the Meet in the Middle plot list for any random story ideas I get too. It's really nice for those early morning ideas that you don't want to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel! Mine happens in the weirdest places too! Good luck with your story! Maybe you can try to NaNo now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how this resonates with me. And I love what you said about wanting to fill out the skeleton. That is so exactly IT.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails