Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Today is the Day to Prepare

I live in Northern Utah. We see snow here. Sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. For the first time in a very long time (so long I don't remember), they are predicting a blizzard. White out conditions. Stay home, keep warm, and pray the power doesn't go out conditions.

As we have prepared as a family for this possibility, I can't help but draw comparisons to our mortal existence and how often we are counseled to prepare, and how few of us actually listen.

My hubby's been out of work for a few months now, and our food storage is pretty much gone. We have our 72 hour kits ready, so thank goodness for that. But there are other things, like the fact that I have three 55 gallon drums sitting empty of water in my garage. And even if we did have water in them, I never bought the little spigot thingy to get the water out. But I will learn from this experience, and hopefully have the opportunity to try again to be prepared for the next time.

I've discovered that it's the same with my writing. I have to prepare. I can have this grand idea for something, but until I prepare an outline, even a rough one, I can only get so far before I get caught in the storm of confusion.

So even if you are a confirmed panster, what do you do to prepare before you write? How do you avoid unhappy consequences in the storm?

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. Preparation is the key to success. It's to key to dispelling fear and anxiousness. I've found this to be true as I wrote my Nanowrimo novel this month. Every other time I tried, I didn't know how to prepare, and I always felt anxious, overwhelmed and fearful. But this time, I had my meet in the middle plot line, but even better, I had prepared my inner writing team and the fear was gone. I knew each part of me was prepared to do their part.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails