Monday, March 21, 2011

Our Creative Potential

I've always found some venue for creativity...piano, scrapbooking, crochet, a small and unsuccessful flirtation with oil paints. But it is only since I started writing that I've realized how important creating is to my spirit. It buoys me up to a higher plane and helps me see beyond today.

Writing gives me energy and vision. It teaches me more about goal-setting. It teaches me (and is still trying to teach me) about balance.

I really feel that creative expression makes us better, and I'm always encouraging my sisters to find something...sewing, dancing, cooking...something that they can call their own.

In an earlier post this month, Amber shared an quote by Elder Uchtdorf, but it really stuck with me and I'd like to share it again.

"The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit, the greater your capacity to create. That is your opportunity in this life and your destiny in the life to come. Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I love that because he addresses us, Sisters, who have been given that capacity to create. And even if, as moms, we really find that we don't have much time to write or (insert other creative hobby)...how many infinite opportunities are we given during the day?

We create new stories at bedtime.
We create new ways to teach.
We create new dishes for picky eaters.
We create silly songs and amazing birthday cakes.
We create new places to put our children in time-out. (Couldn't resist. That's been my dilemma lately.)

How do you find yourself using your creative potential during the day? What other creative hobbies do you have besides writing?

8 comments:

  1. Like you, I've sampled a variety of creative outlets but writing is what fills me. It's the one thing I don't think I can give up. But I like the idea that when I can't write, I can still create and hopefully my family will benefit from my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like to create different things. And I find that if I take the time to scrapbook or make cards, or cook something new, it gets the creative juices flowing for my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love creating for the experience of bringing something into existence that wasn't there before until I worked at it. Writing does that for me. On some days, cooking does it too. Those are usually days my family is a lot happier!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. R.S.J.-That's a great way of putting it! That writing is what you can't give up! I agree :)

    Nikki-You know, I haven't thought of that, but creating in other areas certainly would inspire the muse! I should go pull out my crochet hook.

    Tamara-Yes, my family thinks dinner tastes much better than my novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that talk and it was so inspiring! I've also found writing to be a wonderful creative outlet, especially since I am so tragically bad at many of what I considered the more 'traditional' outlets for creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sierra-But who needs to be traditional when you have the gift of writing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been on my mind so much lately! I am most definitely an inherently creative person. I really enjoy crafting and last month I tried making some tissue paper flowers. When I was finished, they looked so real and were so beautiful it just filled me with joy. It seems like such a small silly thing, but I remember thinking that it must be the same joy that our Savior feels from His creations. Anytime I create a thing of beauty I feel closer to God, and writing is certainly no different! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. A good hobby, like writing or drawing, singing or whatever, adds dimension to life. It adds flavor and zest!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails