Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Top Ten Reasons to Attend a Writer's Conference

by Tamara Passey

10. The stylish name-tags. Okay, kidding.
 9. The food. Still kidding.
 8. Meeting internet writing friends (people look different in 3-D than 2-D).
 7. The chance to listen to famous authors, published authors (not always the same thing) and lots of other experienced people in the writing and publishing industry.
 6. Sit at a table with total strangers and talk about genres, word count, writing methods and hooks.
 5. Attend workshops and learn I’ve written a few things right.
 4. Attend workshops and find out I’ve written a few things that will need to be burned.
 3. Have total strangers ask, “What do you write?”
 2. Have an agent or editor ask, “What do you write?”
And the # 1 reason to attend a writer’s conference is having confirmed to you the universal truth :
Writing is the coolest, most awesome job/hobby/obsession in the world!

I get carried away, but how could I not after attending the fabulous ANWA conference? If you were there, you know what I mean. If you weren't there -(well why not?) mark your calendar for next year!

6 comments:

  1. I tried to come up with my own Top 10, but I'm not nearly that clever. It was so great to meet you and see you in 3-D,lol. Now you know why I used a siloette picture of me and my now almost 4 year old, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing conferences leave you with an one-of-a-kind high! And the last one I went to had yummy food, so I guess I was lucky:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so great meeting you and Megan in person! Plus I saw some of our readers and at least one person from our Saturday's Stories. It was a way awesome conference! I'm so glad so many people came for it! The ANWA conference just keeps getting better every year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan - so good to meet you! I am thrilled for the request you got from the agent. It's not a good thing, it's a great thing.
    R.S.J. - I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right. It was hard to come home and put the mom hat back on.
    Nikki - so good to meet you, too. I'm glad you found me. and congrats to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had fun! I need to belong to ANWA. *Sigh* All I do is go to LDStorymakers like a family reunion! :)

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth - I'm sure I don't know what chapter would be near you - but they have the online chapter- and even if you are not a member - I think the conference is open to anyone. It would be great to have you come next year. Will you be at storymakers this year? If so, I would LOVE to meet you in person!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails