Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Toaster Lesson

I knew it was Tuesday, really I did.
The entire day went by in usual Tuesday fashion, you know, slightly less outrageous than Monday. 
At one point I even remember wanting to read the MMW post for the day.
Hmmm. You think it would have hit me then. Tuesday, MMW -my day to post!

Anywaaaay-at least the day is not over.
And I can share my toaster lesson.
I'm not even making this up.
If you don't know by now, I have a thing for Thomas' English Muffins. It's probably the nooks and crannies. That and the real butter I put on them. So most mornings, the toaster and I get along great. Only today, I put the English Muffins in, pushed the plunger (is that the name of it?) and nothing. It didn't stay down, no little blue light came on the side. And certainly no heat came on to toast. That didn't stop me. I kept pushing the tabby-thing down. Once, twice, third time's a charm, right? No. Not even close. I pushed it probably seven more times before the thought registered, It's not working. I'm not sure how many more times I tried because I wasn't counting, but I kept at it, to get it to come to life. Finally, I wiggled the plug, and then held the plug a certain way and what do you know, it worked. I made a mental note to put new toaster on the list. Although, it will probably take me many more days of that routine before I really break down and go buy one. Toasters have a personality and I'm not happy about needing a new one and having to get to know its quirks. Silly, isn't it? I know. But it did get me thinking. I was in denial for a long time, pushing that plunger down and thinking it was going to work. I had to have the realization that it wasn't working before I tried other measures to finally get it to work. I wondered about the other areas of my life where I could do the same thing -like when I put on the same pair of jeans that don't fit (should probably cut back on the real butter I mentioned earlier) and thinking that any day, I'll actually be able to button them. Ha! Or how about asking an unnamed child to pick up toys, as I pick them up myself. If I stop to admit it isn't working, I might be able to change my approach. And finally, I thought of writing. Sometimes my tried and true methods of writing don't produce the results I hoped for and I have to be willing to admit it, change and even learn new skills. Sounds tedious, but what's the alternative? Standing at the counter, staring at cold toast. Not pretty. 

Well, that's my Tuesday. With my toaster malfunction, no wonder I forgot what day it was.
Happy Writing.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails