Sunday, July 10, 2011

I've Found My Way!

Hi. I'm Jenni James and I've been a Mormon Mommy Writer for the past 2 1/2 years.  :)  After a brief stint away, I am back to stay.

As many of you know, I've been on quite the publishing journey the past year and have just now realized why it's taken me until so long to finally have it all sorted out.  Though my story would be considered nothing short of nightmarish for some,  I've come to see how grateful I am it's all worked out the way it has.

I do have a new publisher for The Jane Austen Diaries, and printing on Pride & Popularity is supposed to begin this month... but that's not what I want to talk about today.  Instead, I want to focus on the amazing miracle that has taken place.

I remembered why I began writing to begin with.

It's true.  All this time, ever since snagging my agent and then publisher, I've been caught up in the whirlwind of fame.  Of reaching out and promoting and dreaming, dreaming, dreaming.  Everything came easily at first.  Everything.  I had Hollywood producers knocking, overseas contracts coming in, and huge companies begging to endorse my series.  Heck, I even had a television crew propose to turn my life into a reality show.  Mormon Mom Writes While Raising her Growing Brood.  (erm, yes, I told them no.)

However, when my publisher began to wobble, their finances strained, and no book was printed.  Everything began to unravel.  My dreams began to *poof* in front of my eyes.  I even had an unbook launch, without a book,.  But I held on to that fame dream, held on to the belief my publisher would come through for me in the end.

And then last March, I finally walked away and started again.

When I started over, an amazing thing happened.  I no longer cared about the fame.  I didn't want a big launch party, or massive endorsements, or book signings all over the country.  Instead, I realized I just wanted my book read by teens.  That's it.

I began writing to change the world one book at a time.  I began writing, because Heavenly Father needed me to.  He pleaded with me to show the teens of today amazing good characters to fall in love with and emulate.  To reach out and give those teens an opportunity to follow their dreams and be an example to them all.  I began writing so I could start this blog, and inspire other Mormon moms to do the same.

Jenni James is back.  Her purpose has been renewed and her REAL dream remembered.  I thank my Heavenly Father every day for providing me with the trials he has, because if it were not for His heartbreaking reminders I may have very easily lost sight of it all.

It's good to be home.
Jenni

P.S. Another great adventure on my way to remembering why I'm writing:  I've begun a free writer's course designed especially for teens.  From time to time, I'll be posting extra lessons, along with mine, from visiting authors.  If you'd like to be one of those authors, let me know. :)  Or if you have a teen wanting to learn writing secrets--have them come and join the 750 others who've already joined. (though they're super shy and only about 1% comment. :) ).http://jennijameswritingclass.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

  1. It's nice to have you back, Jenni! We missed you and are very glad you found your way back to MMW blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post! Writing is such an adventure, where ever you are in the journey. Good luck with your books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Jenni! You've been missed :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni - I am so glad you're here! I loved your book (as I told you on twitter) and I think you're making the right move. One of my favorite parts in pride and popularity is when she hits her leg and says "sugar" I laughed so hard at that and thought, 'if only more teenagers would emulate this.' Anyway, you inspire me - keep on going awesome lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @nikki... Lol! I've missed you too. :)
    @Betsy... Thank you so much! :)
    @Shanti... It's good to be home! :D
    @Jen... Lol! i love that part too. *grins* Thank you!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! I found it!
    You know, that 2nd reason is what I feel about my "Challenge" right now. At first I thought it's be fun to have all these readers and adoring fans, but after a week or so of no one showing up, I decided I just wanted to spread the word enough to help people get their personal history done, and even start working on their family history--because that's the promise of Elijah!
    And P&P was such a good book with good characters to emulate! I loved that about it! :)
    P.S. You need to change your thing to say giddymomof7 or 10 or 20...! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails