Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11!

If I could trick my post to go live at 11:11, it would be awesome. But blogger's time does not seem to agree with the time on my computer, so there's just no way I can do it short of complicated math. And that's not going to happen.

Today has been getting a lot of attention because of the repetitive nature of the date. People are planning to get married today (lots of them that I know personally). And, for some, it just "feels lucky." I'm more of the school where you make your own luck, so I don't have a pre-conceived idea of what the day should bring.

I do have to say, though, that it would take A LOT for it to be better than yesterday.

Yesterday I finished my edits on The Tyrant King. Finally. I also took part in the Variant by Rob Wells Book Bomb. That was supreme awesomeness. It felt so good to be a part of something. In case you missed it, we took his Amazon ranking up over 10,000%. It seemed like everyone yesterday was talking about that fabulous book.

Recent events, including last week's Writers Retreat, have gotten me thinking. I take genuine joy in the successes of my fellow writers. Because I'm on a constant path of self discovery, I also tend to take personal stock of my own feelings when someone announces a milestone reached, or a goal obtained.

Where I would expect to find traces of envy, I only find joy. Real happiness for them. This surprises me, as a shred of envy would not only be understandable it would also be somewhat appropriate. I've had friends obtain publishing contracts with publishers that turned me down. Others obtained agents who got them great book deals. And still others sell hundreds of books (in a day, lol) or over the course of a couple of signings. Yet, I'm HAPPY for them.

This is likely the only place you'll see me pointing this out. I'm pleased by my reactions to others' successes, but also mildly puzzled, which is why I'm posting here because it gives me a chance to obtain feedback. You can say I'm "tooting my own horn" and you would be partially right. It could simply be that I'm not a person prone to jealousy. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Cheri. I'm so happy for my friends that are doing so good with their books. Sometimes I may be sad that I'm not doing it with them, but I'm always happy at their success.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails