Thursday, July 5, 2012

Say It With Me: I Am A Writer

I attended a class at the 2007 LDS Storymakers Conference presented by Tristi Pinkston.  I can't recall the name of the class, or the synopsis of the material it covered, but I will never forget the experience of that one hour with Tristi, because it held for me the 'wow' factor of that event.  You know - the one opportunity you walk away from saying, "Wow - if nothing else had gone right, that moment made this whole experience worthwhile."

I remember Tristi reflecting on the pull we feel to writing, and tying it to our eternal nature.  She suggested something I'd never really considered before: that we were probably writing long before we came to Earth; that we were developing these interests and talents as we prepared for mortality.  Quite possibly we sat in on lessons with Shakespeare.  Perhaps we listened to a panel by Austen and Dickens. 

The point, speculation aside, is that life is just a step in our eternal progression.  We didn't just pop into existence and decide to string words into stories.

When she made that point, I felt an instant connection to the idea.  Yes.  I was a writer before I was born.  More importantly, I am a writer now.

Sometimes I think we forget or undermine the importance of that little idea. We think, "I'm not a writer because I'm not published," or "I'm not a writer, because I'm still learning.   Yesterday, my six-year-old daughter reinforced the concept.

She announced she was going to write a book, demanded some paper and disappeared for almost half-an-hour.  When she returned, she handed me a fully illustrated short story anecdote of her experience with the chicken pox this past spring.

I read it aloud, gave her a hug and said, "Sweetie, you're a writer!"

She gave me one of those 'teenage' looks and said, "Yes mom, I know."

From this experience I learned some very important lessons:

1. If you want to write a story, sit down and do it.  She had an idea, took the initiative and finished the project.
2. If you believe you are a writer, you are a writer.  Nobody else's criteria, accomplishments or understanding matters.  More importantly, if you are writing, you are a writer.

So say it with me:  "I am a writer."

Now close your browser and get to work.  (But don't forget to stop by tomorrow for the next great MMW post!)

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Kids are just so much smarter than we are most of the time. I had never thought about the fact that I was a writer in the preexistence. What a nice thought. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo! I'm a writer! I love your daughter's answer. Kids are so smart. I constantly learn from my 22 month old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I am a writer! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails