Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Path to Anywhere

A couple of week ago I wrote a post about how I like to create stories in my head as I pass by different places and scenery.  A few days ago I was at the park with my kids and I saw a path.  In reality I know right where the path leads, but as I stared at this somewhat hidden trail I felt like it had a story to tell.  I took a picture of it on my phone and texted it to Ashley.  I asked her what sort of story the picture created for her, or where the path might lead.  We went back and forth for a while bouncing ideas and just trying to stir our creative juices.  Here's what we came up with:

 
 
It could be a good place for a scary story
 
Something like "Bridge to Terabithia" or some magic land.
 
Could even be a good book cover
 
A secret garden, some forgotten nook, discovered all overgrown.
 
It could lead to an old family cemetery...
 
or an old Indian burial ground
 
It could be the start of a historical mystery/adventure
 
 
What story does this picture tell you?  What does it make you think of?  We would love to hear your ideas and thoughts.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



3 comments:

  1. This looks a lot like my step-dad's family land in Georgia. I spent four summers there in a house in the middle of 300 acres. The driveway to the main road was literally a mile long, and in the other direction from the house or spiking off the driveway were trails like this one. It makes me think of my high school summer boyfriends, including my "first love" when I was 15. We would go on walks on the trails to get away from the prying eyes of my parents. And then I also think of years later going there with my husband and little boy, especially on our last trip there for my mother's funeral almost exactly a year ago. While walking those trails that final time I felt like I could see ghosts of my former self - the cross country runner training over the summer, the new high-school grad driving to her first single's ward activity, the newlywed taking her husband to see the horses. So for me, that picture is like a portal to memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels sad to me. I don’t know why- I love the woods, and it looks like someplace I would go and wander and daydream. Hmm...why the sadness? A mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looks spooky to me. I love katie's comment, full of good memories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails