Friday, July 19, 2013

Firing Your Editor


Let's face it nobody wants an editor that is so critical they never see anything good. You know what I'm talking about, the type of person where nothing is ever good enough. Those people are never pleased and you should get as far away from that type of editor as you can. But what if that editor is YOU?!!

Yep, that's my problem. My inner editor is taking over my life and she is not fun. She is overly critical of my writing and NEVER thinks it's good enough. But now she has moved beyond just being critical of my writing. I can't read books or watch movies without this overly critical voice in the back of my head telling me how it could have been better. My favorite authors are suddenly lacking, even my favorite TV shows are losing their appeal. This needs to stop! It is paralyzing my writing. Am I the only one that has this problem? Please tell me some of you have dealt with this before.

How do you silence your over bearing editor when it's in your own head??

3 comments:

  1. I have this problem too. It took me six years to write my first published book. I probably would still be writing it if I hadn't decided it's okay to be imperfect. One way I got over it was through flylady.net. I also try to write about overcoming perfectionism. It became a major theme in the last book I wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to see this post over at Scribbler’s Cove- http://thescribblerscove.blogspot.com/2013/07/my-inner-editor.html

    And Rebecca, Flylady ROCKS!

    For me, remembering my purpose is really important. Right now I’m in first draft mode, so my purpose is to get the words down on paper. I do go back occasionally when I’m trying to get my bearings and reread, and I usually cringe a few times, but I don’t let myself start rewriting, because that is not my purpose. I focus on figuring out what needs to come next and writing it.

    Later on my purpose will be to make it better- not perfect, but better. Then I’ll try to make it better than that. Then once it’s the best I feel I can make it (which, even if it isn’t perfect will be good enough) I’ll pass it on to others who can help me make it better.

    And if all else fails, I will remember that I am still learning. As long as I keep trying, my best will continue to improve. :-) So tell your inner perfectionist editor that she’s fired! Because she’s not fulfilling any useful purpose and she’s slowing down the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never silence my inner editor. I read something long ago though, that I follow. "An artist does not finish her work; she abandons it." Our work can always be improved upon, altered, etc. At some point, we just have to say, "it's done."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails