Sunday, February 16, 2014

Inspiration from my Ancestors



Last weekend I went to the Roots Tech conference at the Salt Palace. I have never been before, and I am still new at genealogy. It was so great. I learned things that can even help with my writing. One of the biggest things themes was that “everyone has a story”. I loved it, because that is how I feel. I don’t do genealogy to get a name on a page, I want to find the person behind the name. They may not be John Smith or Abraham Lincoln, but everyone lived a life and had experiences that they went through.

Everyone has their genre that they like to write in. I seem to be drawn to Historical Fiction. I am writing my grandparents story. They have an amazing love that needs to be shared. My second story that I am working on is my 9th Great Grandmother Penelope Stout. She was a survivor and hero. I have found several ancestors who need their story told. I am so excited to be able to combine my love for genealogy and writing.

Another thing we heard a lot was keeping record of our own family’s history. Blogging, journals, Facebook and Instagram are all ways to keep record of your family. Do you do genealogy? What genre to write in? What inspires you to write?

I am thankful to live in a time when I can attend conferences, and use technology to help me in the things that I love to do. I am grateful that there are so many ways to keep a record of my family history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails