Sunday, March 16, 2014

Inspirational Hymn

By Nikki Wilson

Dani is out of town today so I told her I would fill in. I love to post on Sundays because I like to talk about how writing and religion go together. Today I'd like to share the hymn that inspires me to write. "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go". If you click on the link you can play the song and even read the lyrics. (Click on the audio button under the player and check the box for music and lyrics) The verse that really stands out to me is the second verse, more specifically the end of the verse:
O Savior, if thou wilt be my guide,
Tho dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet:
I'll say what you want me to say.
(Text: Mary Brown, 1856-1918
Music: Carrie E. Rounsefell, 1861-1930)
 
This describes perfectly how I feel when I write. Anything I write I pray that I am writing things my Savior would have me write. That may seem strange to say when I mostly write fiction, but messages of love, inspiration, and conquering evil can uplift and inspire no matter the story. If you think about it, Christ used fictional stories (parables) to explain deep principles of the gospel. I know that if I use Him as my guide and my inspiration that I can be the instrument He needs in this world today. Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged and think that since I'm not published that I'm really not doing the Lord any good. I'm not touching anyone's lives with my words. But I have learned to recognize that those thoughts would never come from my loving Heavenly Father and come only from another source. And so I keep writing. I write because it's my God given talent, I write because I want to honor Him by using it, I write to glorify Him, and I write in hopes that I can share His message sweet. In short, I'll write what he wants me to write.

2 comments:

  1. There’s a favorite song that inspires me in the same way, “Words” by Hawk Nelson. The chorus says, "Let my words be life/ Let my words be truth/ I don't wanna say a word/ Unless it points the world back to You.”



    Thanks for this beautiful reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great message. I love it when writers feel called to write, when they know it's God's gift to them. Honoring that will bring goodness to all who read the work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails