Thursday, September 4, 2014

PPD and Me

- a post by Jeanna Mason Stay
 
Warning: It’s shocking, I know, but I’m about to be completely serious. Take a deep breath. . .

When my second child was born, we had just moved to a new place where I didn’t have any close friends or family. It was winter—bitter cold—so I got very little sunshine and fresh air. And having a newborn came with all the attendant stereotypical stuff, like wonky hormones and lack of sleep. Surely this was enough to make the situation difficult. Add to that the fact that I have never considered myself a natural nurturer. Being a mother is a challenge to me, even on the best of days.

So I was struggling—more than I was willing to admit to anyone.

In my old days of grad school, studying marriage and family therapy, I was required to use an inventory called “Reasons for Living.” The Reasons for Living inventory was a list of potential things you might discuss with a client with suicidal ideation (the desire to kill oneself)—things it might be worth living for, or at least reasons not to die.

In my postpartum days, these items went through my mind. I don’t remember how often, I don’t remember how long it lasted—but I remember days when I sat in my bathroom, sobbing into a towel, thinking “My family would suffer without me” and “I believe in an afterlife.”

Thankfully, I was never truly suicidal, largely because of those two items from the inventory. Even when I felt like I was contributing absolutely nothing to the well-being of my family, the logical part of me knew that I was at least providing food for my newborn and keeping my husband from having to pay for childcare. And even in my pain I knew death wouldn’t make the hurting stop. (The belief in an afterlife can be a pretty strong inducement to live. I didn’t want to end a mortal life just to pop up somewhere else to suffer the consequences of my bad decision. If I could truly have ceased to exist, though . . . that would have been far more appealing.)

But those weren’t so much “reasons to live” as they were “reasons not to die.”

Did this scare me? Oh yes.

But I didn’t tell anyone.

I’d like to believe that if I had actually been in danger of hurting myself, I would have sought help. But I’m not sure. I had so many reasons not to talk about it: I hated to impose on anyone. I didn’t want to have to deal with therapy or medication or even having friends come over out of pity. I didn’t want to be a drain on my husband’s resources. I didn’t feel like we had money or time to spare on me. Also, I’m not sure anyone knew to really pry into how I was feeling. I’m not sure I would have told the truth anyway, unless someone had asked me repeatedly, seriously, with wholehearted determination to really know how I was doing.

Over time, the feelings faded on their own. It was a miraculous gift, one not afforded to most people suffering from depression. This part of my story is not the norm. It was only when I was starting to feel better that I finally told my husband what had been going on. He knew I’d had a hard time, but he had no idea how much. I was very good at hiding it, and I was functioning at least minimally, so there weren’t enough warning signs.

Now, with another newborn, we both pay much closer attention. So far, I am infinitely better this time around. I am grateful but also determined not to allow depression go unaddressed again.

Why am I telling you all of this? To be honest, I’m not sure. I’ve thought and thought about why I felt compelled to tell this story. Perhaps because I hope that knowing a little of it may help you if you are feeling despair—at least help you know you’re not crazy or hopelessly ruined (I felt that way sometimes). I hope it will encourage you to seek help instead of suffering through. Perhaps because you may know someone who seems to be doing okay, but maybe you wonder sometimes if there’s more going on that they’re hiding. You should go find out.

Perhaps, in the end, because I think that telling a scary secret takes away its power, and because depression doesn’t need any more power in my life or in anyone else’s.

14 comments:

  1. Jeanna, you are so right about how telling our stories is such a healthy thing to do....perhaps it also releases any shame that may have been trapped there as well. I had post partum as well as antenatal depression with my third. It was awful and I so relate with the desire to cease existing. I was so overwhelmed by my sense of loneliness (same situation, moved to a new place, had a baby, had no network.) I am actually working on a book right now about this very subject! It's scheduled to be published next year (release day - Mother's Day) I would really appreciate it if you would consider reading it and give me your feedback as someone very much in the know. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charla. I'm sorry you had to go through this stuff too. I'd be happy to give your book a look, although I can't guarantee I'll be of much use! :)

      Delete
  2. Jeanna, thank you for writing this. I just recently started getting help for depression after a major loss. It was such a difficult thing to do, and several times over the last year I've started make therapy appointments and then stopped myself. It's such a difficult step to take. I remember feeling relieved during my first therapy session when I was diagnosed with clinical depression. That's probably weird, I know. But, to finally have someone know and understand what was going on with me and to have confirmation that it's real was a huge step for me. Now that I'm on medicine and getting help, I'm starting to see what a black hole depression really is, and that the thoughts I had were not me and they were not reasonable, though at the time I thought they were. Its such a hard and isolating thing to experience. Thank you for sharing your experience, it has really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've finally been able to get help and move forward. I know that can be crazy hard, and I hope things are getting better for you! Thank you also for sharing your experience.

      Delete
  3. One of the beautiful gifts about being a writer is the ability to use your talent to put such difficult feelings into words, and, by so doing, help others to know they’re not alone. Postpartum is probably the most difficult time of a woman’s life, and it’s so contradictory because it follows such a happy event, and I think that’s a big reason women feel the need to sweep it under the rug and why others don’t think to push the issue. Thanks so much for writing this- so well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree--if we don't feel overwhelmed by joy every moment, we feel bad, because think we're supposed to feel all happy postpartum. But the fact is that you can love the new kid oodles and still feel terrible. The two emotions can go together, and it doesn't make you a terrible person.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness this post took me back to when my girls where little this was me more than I would like to admit...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In writing this, I've discovered that there are far more women who struggle with these emotions than I would have thought. I don't think any of us want to admit it!

      Delete
  5. Well said, sister! Thank you for being brave enough to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's so important for us to share these "deep, dark secrets," because Satan is the only one who wants us to be destroyed by shame or guilt or a disease like depression. The Lord knows that if we can accept love and help into our hearts, we can accept healing, in whatever degree is possible for our circumstances. Good for you for sharing and normalizing this, Jeanna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, suffered from PPD after my first child. It lasted about a year, and I too, thought about suicide. It's the most bizarre thing...you have this precious newborn, whom you love dearly, but you can't see past the cloud. Thank you for sharing this. What helped me was prayer and being prayer over and prayed for. God was the only force that seemed to soothe me. We need to talk about depression, bring it out of the closet. Good job here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marianne. Yes, I agree that it's such a weird thing to feel two such conflicting, very strong emotions at this time. I'm glad that you--and so many others--get through it with prayer and other help. What a blessing!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails