Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walt Whitman is the SHIZ!!!!

One of the first nuggets of writing advice I came across when I was just starting was this:  Read, read, read.  Write, write, write.  Suffer, suffer, suffer.

So I think I've got writing and suffering pretty much down but I know I don't read as much as I should.  So I've given myself an assignment to search and find great poetry that I love for this blog and post it...my little offering to anyone else who could use all the beautiful language they can get their hands on.

Let the feast begin!

 "Song of Myself," by Walt Whitman

With music strong I come, with my cornets and my drums,
I play not marches for accepted victors only, I play marches
      for conquer'd and slain persons.
Have you heard that it was good to gain the day?
I also say it is good to fall, battles are lost in the same spirit
      in which they are won.
I beat and pound for the dead,
I blow through my embouchures my loudest and gayest for
      them.
Vivas to those who have fail'd!
And to those whose war-vessels sank in the sea!
And to those themselves who sank in the sea!
And to all generals that lost engagements, and all overcome
      heroes!
And the numberless unknown heroes equal to the greatest
      heroes known!

4 comments:

  1. I love this! It’s not about the outcome, it’s about the will to fight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it to...good for me to remember because I might one day be a fallen writer...but not because I didn't fight.

      Delete
  2. I like the poem. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails