Saturday, November 1, 2014

Time to Buckle Down

By Lacey Gunter

Okay people, you've had your little imaginary play time, and I know you just want to curl up in a candy induced coma. But, it is now officially November!  It is time to buckle down. November is for writing. 

While a good proportion of you will be focused on NaNoWriMo, us picture book folks never do well in trying to increase our word count.  So for those of you who write picture books, I recommend PiBoIdMo - Picture Book Idea Month.

As I'm sure you can guess, the general idea is to come up with 30 new picture book concepts within the month of November. They don't have to be entire manuscripts and they don't even have to be super detailed. Just a simple concept or premise will suffice. If you come up with more than that, great, that is just icing on the cake.

If you want the incentive and structure that comes with a formal program you can register  here. Otherwise you can just do it on your own.

This will be my second year participating. I really enjoyed the challenge last year and produced several manuscripts based on the ideas I came up with in PiBoIdMo 2013.   I am hoping for the same success this year.

So if you are anything like me, it is time to buckle down and get started simmering on ideas. Because thirty days goes quick and banging your head on the wall trying to come up with a bunch of ideas on day 29 never worked well for me.

So good luck getting those creative juices flowing. And begging a few candies from you kids Halloween stash probably won't hurt. ...Mmmmm, candy coma!  ... No, wait ... I mean ... get to work!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails