Saturday, December 13, 2014

Blessed Among Women

By Lacey Gunter

I have been reading the four gospels this past month after being challenged to do so before Christmas by my Bishop, the religious leader over our local congregation. It has greatly helped in keeping the focus of Christmas on those things that really matter.

As I have been reading, I have pondered much on Mary and her role as the earthly mother of Jesus. What a truly great honor, but also what a truly sacred responsibility. We do not hear a lot about her in the scriptures, but we do get a few small glimpses of the kind of woman she was.

Her humility, courage and obedience is beautiful and powerful. What an example of womanhood and motherhood for us. An example we so desperately need at this time in history when so many women seem to feel the need to abandon the things that are truly virtuous and lovely about our sex. I hope at some point in the life hereafter I can get to know her and she might call me sister or friend. I hope to be worthy of that salutation.

One of my very favorite songs at Christmas time is Fanz Biebl's Ave Maria. It is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, very fitting for such a beautiful daughter of God. Here is a link to it being sung by the angelic Pro Musica Girls Choir. I hope it uplifts you and gives you peace during this Christmas season as you ponder the miracle of the birth and life of Jesus Christ.




1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails