Saturday, February 7, 2015

Silly Poem Saturday

By Lacey Gunter

There is more than enough sad, negative and depressing things going on in the world right now. It's high time we all had a good little chuckle. So I declare today to be Silly Poem Saturday (or whatever day you happen to read this post). Here are few silly poems I enjoy and one of my own.  Please share one you like, or better yet, one you wrote in the comments section and have a splendidly silly day.


EARLY TO BED
by Mary Mapes Dodge

Early to bed and early to rise
If that would make me healthy and wise
I'd rise at daybreak, cold or hot,
And go back to bed at once. Why not?



SNOWBALL
by Shel Silverstein

I made myself a snowball
As perfect as could be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
And let it sleep with me.
I made it some pajamas
And a pillow for its head.
Then last night it ran away,
But first - it wet the bed.



WHEN I'M AN OLD LADY
by Joanne Bailey Baxter
When I'm an old lady, I'll live with my kids,
and make them so happy, just as they did.
I want to pay back all the joy they've provided,
returning each deed. Oh, they'll be so excited.
(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids.)

I'll write on the wall with reds, whites and blues,
and bounce on the furniture wearing my shoes.
I'll drink from the carton and then leave it out.
I'll stuff all the toilets, and oh, how they'll shout.
(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids.)

When they're on the phone and just out of reach,
I'll get into things like sugar and bleach.
Oh, they'll snap their fingers and then shake their head,
and when that is done I'll hide under the bed.
(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids.)

When they cook dinner and call me to meals,
I'll not eat my green beans or salads congealed.
I'll gag on my okra, spill milk on the table,
and when they get angry, run fast as I'm able.
(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids.)

I'll sit close to the TV, through the channels I'll click,
I'll cross both my eyes to see if they stick.
I'll take off my socks and throw one away,
And play in the mud until the end of the day.
(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids.)

And later in bed, I'll lay back and sigh,
and thank God in prayer and then close my eyes,
and my kids will look down with a smile slowly creeping,
and say with a groan. "She's so sweet when she's sleeping!"
(When I'm an old lady and live with my kids.)



WAITING
by Lacey Gunter

Texts on my telephone,
Emails in my box,
Dishes in the sink,
And a laundry full of socks

The kids are yelling "Momma!",
My husband wants his dinner,
The dogs are barking for a walk,
And time is getting thinner,

But I am busy writing
A story that will rock,
Only trouble is
I’ve got writers block!
 




4 comments:

  1. Here’s one of my favorites (by me):


    Mommy’s Little Helper by Kasey Tross

    I like to help my Mommy with the cleaning and the chores.
    I use our nicest towels to clean messes on the floors.
    When I find Mommy’s keys I go to put them right away.
    I know that she won’t lose them in my special hiding place.

    Some sticky candy on the floor will make my Mom a grouch;
    I always help by stuffing it real far down in the couch.
    My Mommy says that junk is all that she gets in the mail,
    So any envelopes I find go in the garbage pail.

    I do my work in secret so that nobody can see.
    I wonder what my mom would say if she knew it was me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I love Shel Silverstein! My fav poem of his is There Are Too Many Kids in This Tub. Fun poems are a great pick me up! thanks, Kasey!
    You are quite the poet too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails