Saturday, April 18, 2015

Glad I'm a Picture Book Writer

By Lacey Gunter

It doesn't take long for newbie writers to hear the old writing adage 'write what you know.' It is a wise piece of advice, to be sure. It keeps your writing authentic and true and can usually give your writing more depth and emotion.  

I see it as no easy task, however. Good literature stretches characters. It often casts them into horribly difficult storms in their lives and forces them to change and grow.  To know these emotions and write about them requires authors to stare down their demons; to take a step back into the most vulnerable moments in their lives, lay them out on a platter and serve them up to the world.

I have thought several times about topics I could probably write a pretty compelling story for, having experienced something like it.  Sometimes I even write parts of these stories in my head. But to actually put them down on paper and share them with the world terrifies me. How do you adult literature authors do it?

Maybe one day I will be brave enough to write the difficult narratives in my heart. But for now, I'm glad to be a picture book writer.

1 comment:

  1. Writing for children may for some seem the easy type of writing but I do not agree I think writing for children can be bloody hard and a good children's book is wonderful

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails