Friday, April 24, 2015

Surprises in Writing

Last night, I started to write a post about the update of my book, but then I decided to watch "Grey's Anatomy."

Shocked.  I still had tears in my eyes ten minutes after it ended. That Shonda Rimes can write. Oh. My. Gosh.  I was horrified by how it ended.  If you are a fan of the show and have not seen last night's episode, I won't spoil it for you.  Just have tissues when you watch it.

Greys Anatomy Season 11 Poster.jpg
PHOTO SOURCE

On to my book.  Which doesn't seem nearly as eventful as last night's "Grey's Anatomy."

After talking with an acquisitions editor at Helping Hands Publishing, I decided not to pursue that avenue for my book.  They were interested in my book, "The 12 Days of Christmas Adventure," but they wanted me to create and commit to other projects as well, none of which I have going at the moment.  Caring for my parents, dealing with my own health issues - I don't foresee another book project anytime soon.  And I'm OK with that. 

I'm really not in the writing business to make money, or to go on a national book tour. When I first started this book three years ago, I had dreams of those things.  But after many ups and downs with this manuscript and the interruptions of life, I decided to go with self-publishing an e-book through Smashwords.

It took me awhile to figure out what my goal was with this nonfiction book.  What I discovered was that I just want to share the premise of the book with others.  I want to share how a Christmas project changed my approach and outlook to the holiday.  I've seen this project touch so many people, and my hope is that when people read "The 12 Days of Christmas Adventure," they will be inspired to execute the project in their own life.

That's all. That's really it. Nobody's more surprised than me.

There's a song on Christian radio called "He Knows My Name" by Francesca Battistelli  It has spoken to me repeatedly the past month or so.  This is the chorus:

I don't need my name in lights, I'm famous in my Father's eyes.
Make no mistake, He knows my name.
I'm not living for applause, I'm already so adored.
It's all His stage, He knows my name. 

My idea to write this book came straight from God. He crafted it, using my flawed and haphazard methods.  After confusion about how to get the thing in the marketplace, I'm finally at peace about its launch.  I'm hoping to have the book submitted to Smashwords by July.

A PEAR IN A PARTRIDGE TREE from THE 12 DAYS of CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE

God willing.  It really is all His stage.



2 comments:

  1. I have never watched the show my daughter loves it though and she ended up in tears after watching it last night

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that song. Good luck to you, Mare! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails