Thursday, August 27, 2015

How to Choose Your Next Writing Project

by Katy White

I'm not entirely sure how this has happened, but I've found myself project-less, with one MS freshly sent off to my agent and another making the critique partner rounds. Yet, my three year-old has just started preschool, and my baby is in that pre-crawling, content phase. In other words, I have actual free time and nothing to write. I have plenty of ideas, but I'm struggling to choose between them.

In case any of you find yourself in a similar predicament, here are the conversations I've been having with myself, for your viewing reading pleasure:

1) What project do you think about most in your idle time?

I have two projects that I go between most frequently. I'll call them Tom and Gwen.

2) Which idea makes you most excited?

Hmm. Excited? That's actually a different book altogether, one I'll call Elmore. The idea of Elmore makes me want to squeal from coolness.

3) Which project do you think would resonate most with readers?

Uh, depends on the reader? Sorry, that's a copout. Gwen could pack an emotional punch, but Tom could be the kind of book to really stick with someone. If I do it right.

4) Which will push you the most?

From a creative perspective, probably Tom. From an emotional perspective, Gwen.

5) Which is most unique in relation to the current market?

Tom or Elmore.

6) Which fits your current mood?

Tom.

7) Which idea is the most ambitious?

Tom.

8) Why aren't you writing Tom?

*Gasp* Shut up! You don't know me!

9) I am you. Why aren't you writing Tom?

I'm scared, okay? It just feels big and requires a ton of research into kind of seedy, dark things that I don't normally open myself up to learning about, even though it will definitely serve a purpose from a storytelling perspective. It's the kind of story that could be super duper rad. Or it could be a dull, weird flop, and I don't want to write a dull, weird flop.

10) So...you're going to start writing Tom, though, right? Because you can do hard things?

Gosh, you're bossy.


Now that you've had an unfortunate glimpse into my psyche, how do you choose between projects?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails