Friday, November 6, 2015

Creation

By Nikki Wilson

I like creating something out of nothing. Take a blank word document for example. Using only the 26 little letters in the English alphabet, I can arrange them into seemingly limitless combinations that form words. Words by themselves have little meaning, but when strung together into sentences and paragraphs can form worlds, and characters that boggle the imagination.

This month is National Novel Writing Month where crazy people like me challenge themselves to write 50,000 words in 30 days or less. The biggest challenge is to make those 50,000 words form a coherent story. I've won Nanowrimo two times in the past 7 years and it still amazes me what happens. Just seven days ago, my computer screen was blank with nothing on it. I had no characters, no world, no plot. Now almost 6 days in, with 11,000 words I have a main character who lives in a futuristic, yet simpler world as a princess. In those 11,000 words my character has been betrayed, attacked, transformed to look like someone else, killed a person in self defense and saw the dead bodies of her whole family.

This all happened in FIVE days of writing using only the alphabet and knowledge of the English language. How amazing is that?! You too can create the stories in your head. Join in on Nanowrimo. It's not too late. Even if you don't make 50,000 words, any amount of words on the page is better than a blank page. So become the God of your own imaginary worlds today and create lives with trials, heartache, pain, joy, love, and happiness. You will be amazed at the inspiration that comes and imaginary friends you will make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails