Friday, March 4, 2016

Writing Process

I've been researching different writing processes, hoping it will spark some inspiration so I can write the next Great American Novel. Since my husband couldn't care less about writing or the process of doing so, I thought I would share my findings with you!

Planners Vs. Gardeners
I think some of you have heard about these two different types of writers, but I think it's important to know what type of writer you are.

Planners- as the name suggests, these writers plan EVERYTHING. They use an outline to see where their story is going, what twists and turns they will have, and how everything will tie together in the end.

One of my favorite writers, Brandon Sanderson, is a planner. He churns out at least three-four books a year with his process. If you are interested in how he writes, you can look up his lectures from BYU on YouTube. Here's a link for the first one: Brandon Sanderson Lecture 1

Gardeners- These are the writers that let the story freely unfold as they write. They don't plan, but they have a lot of editing to do (just like gardeners have to cultivate.) Obviously, these writers take longer to complete projects, but they have a tendency to have more surprise in the plot.

A very well-known author who is a writing gardener is George R.R. Martin. If you read the series, you know that good ol' George has been working on the next book in his Song of Ice and Fire series since 2011. He has to keep pushing back the publication date, but I feel as if it will all be worth it.

Of course there are those writers who and a mix of both Gardeners and Planners. I have dubbed them "Gardlanners." These are the writers who may have a loose outline where major plot points are marked, but they allow the story to flow and grow as it will. As long as it hits those major plot points, then it's fine.

I am a Gardlanner. I like to plan, but I have learned that my plots tend to be very linear if I plot too much.

So what type of writer do you fall under? A Planner like Sanderson? A Gardener like Martin? Or perhaps a hybrid like me? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails